Saturday, September 29, 2012

September 29, 2012 - Building

Today I began to build my first bat house.  I am planning to construct two, one for IA, if I can get permission, and one for somewhere else.  I cut all of the wooden pieces for my first house and used the spare cedar to create some parts for the second.  My dad has had to teach me how to safely use an electric saw and cut at angles.  Initially, I was very slow and cut in wobbly lines that didn't follow our template at all.  However, by the end of the day, I could cut fairly accurately as long as the wood was held firm.  This is a prime example of learning by doing because even though my dad explained everything I had to do before I started, I needed a lot of practice before I was comfortable with the saw.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment